4 February

1600 Tycho Brahe interviewed Johannes Kepler for the job of assistant. Their association made strides in astronomy. I read John Banville’s novel ‘Kepler’ without much enlightenment. We saw some astronomy sights and sites in Prague.
Kepler Banville novel.jpg
1697 Three Dutch East India Company (Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie [VOC]) ships anchored off the coast of what is West Australia today. Dirk Hartog led the expedition and the island where they drew water now bears his name.
Dirk-Hartog-Map.jpg
1938 “Our Town” by Thornton Wilder opened on Broadway. We have seen it more than once.
Our Town.jpg
1948 Ceylon declared independence from the United Kingdom and took the name Sri Lanka. We recently saw ‘Counting and Cracking’ about the disintegration of Sri Lanka into civil war (1983-2009).
Sri Lanka flag.png
2013 A University of Leicester archeological dig in Leicester found the skeleton of King Richard III of England. It was a media circus for some reason. I have read Richard III several times but lost my marked up copy when I left it with a bookbinder to have it rebound and the binder moved premisses to Yagoona. The last Richard I saw was Kevin Spacey in a marvellous production. We have also seen cinema versions.
Leicestr Richard III.jpg