What has Jackson published?

Below is a link to my publication list. Gradually I am adding links to electronic sources.

Download file
Current projects include the “I, Burocart” paper, a draft of which is available on this blog.
I have a complete manuscript “Deep approaches to teaching political theory” which is meant to show how to integrate research knowledge of teaching into class room teaching. As such, it is not new research and I am not sure where to try to publish it.
I have a paper under review on the utopia insight in Thomas Hobbes’s Leviathan at the Journal of Value Inquiry but I am not optimistic about the odds of acceptance there.
I also revised and resubmitted a manuscript on an empirical study comparing students’ perceptions of teaching with teachers reports of their teaching with Mountainrise.
Accepted but not yet appeared is a paper another empirical study of students’ recollections of good teaching with Quality Assurance in Education. Like a great many other people I have also contributed in 2004 at invitation two entries for the Oxford Companion to Australian Politics (which has yet to appear) on corruption and utopia.
I am also thinking about a research project on student workloads for 2007, using the enrolment of GOVT3993 as subjects. Workload is a vexed question for a host of reasons. For example, research tells us that students who perceive (report) a high workload get poorer results than other students who are exactly alike in all relevant features (entry scores, age, part-time work, etc) who do not perceive high workload. We know that two demographically identical students can perceive the same work differently, one as high workload and another as not. In short, perceptions of workload are powerful but not objective. David Kember did some research on this subject with Hong Kong students that I have thinking about modifying here. Mind, I have had this thought for two years and done nothing so far. It would involve some diaries of time spend on study, some interviews to flesh out what is said in the diaries, and some analysis using some demographic features (age, sex, student status, results, etc) as a pilot project for a more sustained investigation. Kember’s students were the first in their families to attend university and part of his purpose was to find out how to assist such students in meeting the demands of study in families with not relevant experience. That is not an issue here, but what is the growth in part-time plus employment by students in the last generation, and balancing that with full-time study, all the more so for international students, most of whom also work.

7 thoughts on “What has Jackson published?”

1. This is going to be of great value and interest to many, personally I am particularly interested in ideas concerned with private/public sector projects, warm regards Ann Corlett

2. MJ what is the ‘popular press’ section referring to? Do you also write for the tabloids on in your spare time?

3. As much as we all love the British Library card, how about some links to sites that explore the political theory of the great classicists? My personal favourite was the website from the rock gods who took their inspiration from Plato.

4. Very useful – I found the Amazon links handy, a very good idea, also like the reference code…good thinking!

5. MJ, can you offer a brief explanation of how the article referee process operates?

6. MJ – this list is extraordinary. It makes me curious as to what you are currently working on for publication. Perhaps a section on the main page dedicated to your current projects could be of interest.

7. In 98 I marvelled at Jackson’s mischievous whistle blowing and coralling of students from one discussion group to another in Hons 3A. During 00 I saw a scholar still applying the same drive and focus of mind to the ‘new guys’. Now in 06 I again have the pleasure of tapping into one of Sydney Uni’s treasures.
    Thank you, Michael, for challenging me when I was at Sydney Uni and for taking the time to advise me re further study in North Amercia. This blog site bares testament to your dedication to education and the richness of political science.
    Well done.