Book Collector CLZ

Book Collector has paid for itself many times over by preventing the purchase of multiple copies of the same book.   An appealing book or one I thought I should read and so have on the shelf to encourage me to read it was purchased and stacked away for future reading or reference and… a  few years later the same book comes to hand and I have the same thought and buy another copy, and then later another.  Nothing but that memory lapse could explain why I had three copies of something like Antonio Gramsci’s unreadable The Modern Prince. (Yes, I know, ‘Why have one copy at all?’ No answer to that.) 

I became painfully aware of these multiple copies when upon retirement I was preparing to move my professional library of about 5000 titles.  As I was thinning the collection, shredding textbooks and other items I saw of no further use, I told Trevor Cook about this labour and he told me about Book Collector.  

Wow!  I did not know such applications existed and made it a mission to find out more.  That was about ten years ago.  The timing was opportune as I was moving and re-shelving and so each book had to be handled a couple of times.  Hence I acquired the app and got to work.

I found my first use easy and simple.  Of course, I had a long backlog amounting to about 2500 titles after I finished shredding books.  I purchased a scanner and used that to ease the burden, and it worked fine on books with a bar code.  Recommended.

However, my collection dates back to graduate school in the 1960s and many of the books that I retained had neither as ISBN nor a bar code, while others had an ISBN on the obverse of the title page but no bar code and so had to be keyed in.  I paced this work to about 50-60 a day (about 400 a week) so that I could do other things and not go crazy and make too many mistakes. In a month most of the work was done, and I am very pleased.

Cataloguing identified what I had and synchronizing the catalogue to my cell phone has saved me several duplicate purchases very quickly, and more since.  Three or four such saves more than paid for the software, the scanner, and the time and trouble to learn its use.  

Now there is a hitch here. When I brag to visitors that I have catalogued all the books in my library they assume that means a given order on the shelves, and it does not.  I have grouped the books by subject matter but not anchored any of them to a sequence, shelf mark, or locale.  Maybe I should have but I did not and now it seems a task beyond my needs, abilities, and interests.  The books on a subject like ‘Utopia’ occupy a bay with the tallest on the bottom shelf.  All the reference books are in another bay.  The titles on the history of political thought occupy the top shelves in the bookcases I face from my desk as my favourites.  While there is room in the template to enter such shelving information, it has to be done manually and I have not done that.  

Adding books by title and author or ISBN works pretty well but it is not perfect. I find books published in Australia are less likely to be retrieved, and recently issued books with ISBNs still sometimes prove illusive, so there is still more manual entry than I would like.  

When I am doing this manual entry at times the application has asked me to enter the data a second time on the master data base (the core) in the Cloud and I found that an annoyance. Since I have already entered the data on my system, could it not be uploaded from there rather than keyed in again?   But that practice seems now to have stopped.  

When I capture a book by the automated search I find sometimes that the author’s first and last names get transposed and have to keep an eye on that.  This becomes even more pesky with several authors.  Then there is the need to distinguish translators and editors from authors, say of an edition of Plato’s Republic of which I have six or eight. For scholars these distinctions are crucial.  

The templates have pages and boxes for everything imaginable and some things unimaginable to me, but in my case most are empty.  Those that come with drop down lists are easy to complete, and I have done that, creating a few categories of my own.    

In the last five years I have become converted to digital reading on a Kindle for the convenience, accessibility, text searching, and more.  Not having a copy of the book to put in the pending tray on my desk means that sometimes I forget to enter them in the catalogue, and I have not yet developed a method to overcome such slips of memory.  

I have been confused a few times when changing to a new computer about the catalogue files and I am sure I lost data at least once.  The files names and locations are a mystery to me.  

Like everyone else I wish, sometimes, that applications were integrated.  I use EndNote a lot (and it is a beast and have never been invited to give feedback on it) and means I key in duplicate information on Book Collector and EndNote quite often.  That is no doubt good for the soul but it is tedious.  

While listing nits, I should say I also find it impossible to distinguish among the many products associated with Book Collector.  CLZ Barry left me blank. Such proliferation I suppose meets some need, but not mine.  

Having BC has meant I catalogued my library, something I would not have done without it, and that has been invaluable.  I have heard fellow book worms say they know where every one of their 5000 books is shelved without the need for such a computer crutch but I don’t believe them.