Army of Darkness

Army of Darkness (1992)

IMDb meta-data is a runtime of 1 hour and 21 minutes, rated 7.4 by 176,000 cinematizens.

Genre: Bruce Campbell.

Verdict: CGI.

The ever droll Mr Campbell puts his foot in it and finds himself in 1300 A.D, with endless stream of CGI undead skeletons.  He goes on a quest to find the incantation that will return him to Homewares at K-Mart.  It sounds crazy, because it is, but Campbell is a force of celluloid and he battles on. Yes, he is A Detroit Yankee in King Arthur’s Court with a chainsaw and a 1978 Pontiac DeVille. 

The incantation turns out to be Klaatu barade niko.  (You either get it, or you don’t. No explanations.)

My attention wandered as The Bruce – Hail to the Chin – with teeth chemically whitened and muscles gym buffed battled CGIs, but the wit, energy, and pace kept me in contact with it.  Just barely.  

Bruce has continued his struggles with the CGI dead undead in a gaggle of other similar extravaganzas so that a New York Times reviewer suggested he had become himself a genre.  I liked that, so I used it above. This one of his films shows the many hands of the Raimi family – I counted three – who produced, directed, and played in it. The Bruce genre with the Raimi touch has also sired at least two television series.  

Even more entertaining is a 12.28-minute interview with him on Reddit Ask Me Anything.  Find it on YouTube.